Back to School for Higher Learning & Earning
Now that August is here, it’s officially Back-to-School season—when many teens return to classrooms, head off to college, or perhaps even start a new job. If your teen doesn’t currently have a bank or credit union account, it’s not too late to get them started on good financial habits, like maintaining a budget, keeping track of their spending, and having a safe place to save their money while it earns interest.
Bellco’s youth-focused accounts can provide young adult with great rates, fewer fees, and modern conveniences like mobile banking, remote check deposit, peer-to-peer payments, and more. Perfect for kids in middle and high school, these accounts teach them how to save money, how money works, how to make it grow, and most importantly, how to be financially responsible. Even better news is we just raised the rate on our Youth CD.
Youth CD – Earn 5.15% APY1
- Our Youth CD can help make your kids’ long-term savings goals a reality with a highly competitive interest rate, a minimum opening deposit of just $50, a convenient 12-month term, and the ability to add funds during the term of their CD.
Youth Savings – Earn up to 4.00% APY2
- Our Youth Savings account is the perfect tool to help them get in the habit of saving early. It provides a premium interest rate on balances of up to $1,000 and you’ll have the flexibility to add or subtract funds whenever they need.
Student Checking – Get a $100 Bonus*
- Our free Student Checking account (available to members aged 13–24) is the perfect account for day-to-day money management. Your student will get a free Visa® debit card, access to mobile banking, and no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements. Plus, for a limited time, when they open an account, they’ll receive a $100 bonus*.
To learn more about these youth-focused accounts, speak with a Bellco representative or visit us online at Bellco.org/StudentBanking.
1Annual Percentage Yield (APY) is effective as of 8/1/2023. The interest rate and annual percentage yield (APY) are subject to change without notice at any time prior to the issuance of the certificate. After the point of issuance, interest rates and APY are fixed. Early withdrawal penalties apply. Fees may reduce earnings on the account. Membership eligibility required.
2 Annual Percentage Yield (APY) is effective as of 8/1/2023. The APY for Youth Savings is 4.00% for balances up to and including $1,000.00. For balances in excess of $1,000.00, the APY may range from 4.00% to 0.50%. The APY may change after the account is opened. Fees may reduce earnings on the account. Membership eligibility required.
*To receive the $100 bonus, the student must (i) qualify for Bellco membership, as well as the checking account, (ii) open the student checking account on or before 8/31/2023, and (iii) be aged 13–24. Students under the age of 18 must have an adult as joint owner on the account. Not valid with any other offers. Limit of one bonus per student. There is no minimum balance required to obtain the bonus. The bonus will be deposited into the new student checking account within 90 days of account opening, provided the account is still open and active at that time.
Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association.
Free Things to Do in the Dog Days of Summer
The calendar tells us it’s August, which means that the first day of school is just around the corner. If you’re like lots of Colorado families, you might be looking for ways to make the most of these last dog days of summer. Here are some family-friendly venues to try—and the best part is they’re all free!
- Hammond’s Candy Factory. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a kid who doesn’t want to tour a candy factory to see how it all gets made, including confections that are hand-pulled, hand-shaped, and hand-twisted. Tours run every 30 minutes Mondays through Saturdays, and participants can leave with a fresh sample to go.
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). NCAR’s visitor center offers exhibits about the earth and its systems, including weather and climate change. Some of the content is best suited for kids in 5th grade or above, although all children are welcome. If you’d prefer to check it out from the comfort of your own home, the center offers virtual tours, either self-guided or live.
- Louisville Historical Museum. Discover the history of Louisville by touring through three preserved historic buildings downtown. Or try “History at Home,” which includes online, interactive topics such as old-time music and stories from the Marshall Fire of 2021. Or choose a self-paced driving tour through Louisville to see past and present landmarks and understand the history of this blossoming town.
- Heritage Lakewood. Right near the Belmar district of Lakewood at 801 S. Yarrow street is a beautiful history park and museum. There you can explore 15 historic buildings, as well as permanent and rotating museum exhibits.
- Colorado Music Hall of Fame. If your family is a bunch of music buffs, you won’t be disappointed in a trip to Red Rocks to tour the Music Hall of Fame. Here you can learn about the talented performers who shaped Colorado’s music history, including John Denver and Dan Fogelberg.
- Aurora History Museum. Here you’ll be able to see Trolley Trailer No. 610, a fully restored historic trolley trailer car from 1913, as well as photo galleries of various moments in Aurora’s history.
- Carousel of Happiness (August 12 and 13 are free ride days). Enjoy the cooler temps of slightly higher elevations by heading up to Nederland. You’ll find plenty of family-friendly hiking, and you can always stop by the Carousel of Happiness for a fun, smile-inducing ride ($3 per ride if it’s not a free ride day).
No matter your focus, there’s still plenty of fun to be had before summer waves its hot good-bye. Get it all in while you can!
Let Bellco Help Grow Your Small Business
At Bellco, we’re focused on supporting our members along their financial journey. And it doesn’t just end with individual members—we also focus on supporting our small businesses members who enjoy the benefits of Bellco membership. In fact, with new branches popping up across the state and more on the way, chances are we’re already in your business’ neighborhood.
And thanks to the credit union difference, your small business can enjoy many of the same convenient services and benefits as our individual members do. That means you and your business will typically pay fewer fees, have access to great rates, and know that your deposits/money will go right back to work in the Colorado communities we serve—not other states.
And of course, Bellco offers a wide array of financial products, tools, and services that can help you and your small business reach your goals, including:
- Business Checking Accounts—convenient features, ideal for small businesses
- Great Rates—on business CDs, savings accounts, and money market accounts
- Business Line of Credit—easy application, quick decision, instant access to funds
- Online Banking, Bill Pay, P2P & more—choose the tools best for your business needs
- Business Visa® credit card—make quick payments to thousands of merchants and expand your purchasing power
- Merchant Services (with Clover®)—accept all major credit cards, less wait time for payments
To learn more how Bellco can help with your small-business needs, visit our Business Banking page, stop by any Bellco branch, or reach out to Bellco Member Services at 1-800-BELLCO-1.
The Clover® name, logo and related trademarks are owned by Clover Network, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of First Data Corporation
Protect Your Home’s Systems and Appliances
By Blue Ribbon Home Warranty
Bellco has teamed up with Blue Ribbon Home Warranty to offer Bellco members their home warranty services at a discounted price. Blue Ribbon is Colorado’s only locally owned and operated home-warranty company.
How Does It Work?
Blue Ribbon Home Warranty is a service contract that helps with the costs associated with the repair or replacement of a home’s major systems and appliances when they break down due to normal wear and tear. There is a yearly premium, and when a technician is sent out to your home, there is a co-pay.
Blue Ribbon offers coverage for a home’s systems like HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and appliances (dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, etc.) that are in your home at the time the warranty is purchased. They offer a variety of plans to suit your home as well as a preventive maintenance plan, and extra coverage for things like a pool or hot tub, or even a second furnace. With people relying on their home appliances now more than ever, it’s the perfect time to call.
Learn more and get started at BlueRibbonHomeWarranty.com/Bellco or contact them today at 303-986-3900 and be sure to mention you are a Bellco member to receive your 5% discount.