Bellco has instituted a number of practices to lessen our impact on the environment. Here are some easy ways you can become more environmentally conscious:
- Take a reusable cup to get your morning coffee. You may even get a discount.
- Bring your own bags when shopping for groceries. Over 1 trillion bags are used world-wide each year.
- Check and see if your printers allow you to print on both sides of a sheet of paper.
- Plug your electronics into a UL-certified power strip and switch the whole group off for the evening to prevent phantom electrical draw.
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) as older incandescent bulbs burn out faster and use more energy.
- Check your setting on your washing machine. Only use hot water when necessary. Up to 85% of the energy used in machine-washing clothes goes toward heating the water.
- Get a clothesline or rack to air-dry clothes. Your wardrobe will maintain color and fit, and you'll save money.
- Switch to a home water purification system instead of bottled water. You'll save money long-term and reduce the number of plastic bottles in circulation.
- Brush your teeth without running the faucet. If you leave the water on, you'll use an average of five gallons.