Choosing a secure password is the key to keeping your online Bellco account safe. If you have a relatively simple password, other individuals may be able to access your account through a series of guesses. In order to prevent this from happening, you should select a password that includes a combination of numbers and letters. Avoid using single words or any information about yourself that other individuals could easily obtain, including your name, your spouse's name, your pet's name, birthdays, hobbies, or any part of your User ID or email address.
One way to create a good password is by using a memory aid called a mnemonic.
To create a password this way, start with a phrase that you will easily be able to remember. As an example, we will use, "five ducks are swimming in the large pond." Take the first letter or corresponding symbol from each word to create your password. Using this formula, a possible new password would be 5dasitlp.
Strong password choices
- Establish a password at least six characters long.
- Combine letters and numbers to make a password harder to guess.
- Consider using uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Choose a password that is easy for you to remember, but difficult for someone else to guess.
- Do not write down your password in an accessible place.
- Do not share your password with others. By doing so, you authorize them to access your accounts, for which you assume total liability.
Poor password choices
- Simple repeating patterns
- Adjacent letters/numbers on the keyboard
- Birthdates and anniversaries
- Your log-in name/account
- Phone number or address
- Your name, whole or parts
- Account name/number
- Pet's name
- Child's name
- The same password for all accounts