October 2021 Newsletter
According to sites like Bankrate and Millionacres, some renovations can make a home more livable, but not all will give you an equal return on your investment when it comes to increasing your home’s overall value. Whether you’re thinking of selling or want to refinance, it might make financial sense to consider a home upgrade or two—or it might make sense to hold off. Here are a few of the renovations that could bring you the best return on your renovation dollar.
- Bring on the curb appeal. Updating to new vinyl siding or fiber-cement siding, enhancing a portion of the exterior (such as an entryway) with manufactured stone veneer, or replacing your garage door can drastically upgrade the overall look of your home and create excellent curb appeal. Each option comes at a different price point that you might not fully recoup, so be sure to research the one that makes the most sense for your situation.
- Give your kitchen some love. The kitchen is usually the busiest room in the home, whether it’s just your family getting dinner ready or you’re having over some friends for a party. Doing some minor remodeling to this popular room can make you feel more comfortable in the space as well as entice potential buyers. Your remodel could include installing new appliances and countertops, refacing cabinets, adding new flooring, and repainting walls. Be careful about going too splashy in your upgrade choices, however—you are already not likely to get back every dollar you put in.
- Spruce up the view. Replacing your old windows with energy-saving, simulated, divided-light vinyl windows can help reduce overall energy costs and decrease your carbon footprint. Plus, they look great to potential buyers. However, you’re not likely to garner what you invest, so make sure this is a choice you really want to make.
Even if you recoup its cost when you sell your home, each update means an initial outlay of cash, which might seem out of reach for your day-to-day budget. However, you have options for how to pay. One of the best choices is a home equity line of credit (HELOC), which is backed by the equity already in your home. Bellco’s ChoiceLine gives you the freedom to pay for your renovation (which could ultimately increase your home’s equity) while keeping any remaining credit available to use for a future expense.
Plus, for a limited time, we're offering a great low fixed-rate on advances of $10,000.00 or more on our Home Equity ChoiceLine product. Get the full details and get started at Bellco.org/ChoiceLinePromo.
Bellco is an Equal Housing Opportunity Lender.
History buffs and dinosaur lovers of all ages can step through time in various parts of our state, just by taking a stroll in the right area. Throughout Colorado, numerous sites are host to evidence of both dinosaur life and history of Native American tribes, and much of it is accessible for free. Whether you’re looking for something nearby to do in an afternoon or for a weekend adventure away from home, you’re bound to find some historical places of interest the whole family can enjoy.
- Aptly named, Dinosaur Ridge near Morrison offers views of dinosaur fossils, including over 300 tracks as well as evidence of bone beds. Along the Dinosaur Ridge Trail (a paved path accessible by foot and bike), you can make your trek as short or long as you like, and you can look forward to seeing over 15 fossil and geologic sites, marked with interpretive signage.
- Picket Wire Canyonlands near La Junta is the largest dinosaur track site in North America; you can find 150-million-year-old dinosaur tracks as well as Native American rock art dating as far back as 4,500 years. The round-trip dinosaur tracks hike is 11.2 miles, but you can shorten that trip if you need to.
- The McDonald Creek Cultural Area west of Grand Junction hosts some of our state’s best Native American rock art. Accessing the trailhead might require a four-wheel-drive vehicle, so plan ahead.
- The University of Colorado’s Museum of Natural History is free for all visitors. Its Paleontology Hall displays an impressive fossil vertebrate collection from the Rocky Mountain region—if you’re unable to get there, you can also take their virtual tour.
- Garden Park Fossil Area near Cañon City is one of the country’s most well-known dinosaur excavation sites, where archaeologists have found nearly complete skeletons of numerous dinosaurs. Although no fossils are on view at the site, hiking through the area (which includes extensive historical markers) can give you a good sense of its historical importance.
For a variety of access fees, you can find many other impressive and significant sites throughout Colorado, including Mesa Verde National Park, Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument, the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience, and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. No matter where your adventure takes you, be sure to be prepared for whatever the weather or the environment might hold, and always remember that these sites are delicate and should be preserved for years to come—be respectful of the land, the history, and the people involved, and never add to or detract from any of the rock art or the fossils you find.
As a not-for-profit, Colorado-based financial cooperative, Bellco is committed to providing tools and resources to help our members and the community feel financially empowered. One way we've done this is by collaborating with Denver 7 to provide communities across Colorado with helpful financial tips.
In a recent Denver 7 newscast, reporter Eric Lupher provided 5 tips that may be able to help help minimize the 2021 taxes you owe. You can view the segment below:
To learn more about about the basics of taxes, you can visit our MoneySmarts page.
By The Hughes Law Firm
The common element that everyone shares today is that life has given us a bump in the road, even if each individual feels it differently. For the past 18 months, The Hughes Law Firm has seen more credit union members than any other time in our firm’s history. And the main reason for that is because we offer a service that provides safety, security, and peace of mind.
While past clients keep returning to make updates to older legal documents, we also have new members of all ages who come in to get their estate plans in order. Since 1974, we’ve been helping Coloradans with all sorts of legal matters, including wills and living trusts, probate, family law, business law, real estate matters, tax issues, and more.
If you have been putting off getting important documents in place, don’t hesitate any longer. As a Bellco member, you are entitled to a complimentary consultation and a 25% discount off your legal documents. You can give us a call at 303-4-ADVICE (423-8423). It would be a privilege to help you.
To learn more about the services that The Hughes Law Firm offers, click here.