INTRODUCING "MONEYSMARTS" FINANCIAL EDUCATION
At Bellco, we’re passionate about financial literacy. That's why we're excited to announce that Bellco has partnered with EverFi, an online leader in financial education, to bring you MoneySmarts—a free financial education program available through your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Whether you want to learn banking basics or increase your financial know-how, MoneySmarts’ online interactive learning activities are quick, easy, and packed with information to help you reach your financial goals. Topics include:
• Banking Basics
• Budgeting & Financial Tools
• Bigger Purchases
• Financial Planning
Start learning today for a chance to win a $100 Visa® gift card.*
Now through April 30, 2018, complete any MoneySmarts financial education activity for a chance to win one of ten $100 Visa gift cards. Eligible participants may enter the Sweepstakes by completing one of the activities, then completing the sweepstakes form that pops up after completion.
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. For Official Rules, see www.bellco.org/MoneySmartsSweeps.
JOIN US AT THE COLORADO GARDEN & HOME SHOW
It's February, which means it's time to gather your garden and home-remodeling plans and head to Colorado’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious home show, the 2018 Colorado Garden & Home Show. Bellco is proud to be the presenting sponsor of this nine-day event at the Colorado Convention Center, February 24–March 4, 2018.
Get inspired from the latest ideas and trends in landscaping, gardening and home improvement and find the experts who can remodel, refresh, and renew a home or garden. With over 650 participating companies and over 1,400 booths, there’s something for everyone.
- NEW! Bellco members can Buy One Admission, Get A Second Admission Free to the show by presenting their Bellco debit/credit card or their Bellco mobile app at the ticket window!
- Visit this year’s 5,500-square-foot "Denver Botanic Garden's Pollinator Entry Garden" presented by Bellco.
- Attend one of 50 free educational seminars and how-to demonstrations in the Home Show theater.
While you're there, stop by the Bellco booth to see how you could win one of ten $500 Lowe’s® gift cards just for visiting†. We'll also have special offers on ChoiceLine and our Colorado Rewards credit card during the show. Stop by the Bellco booth for full details.
BELLCO’S REAL ESTATE Q&A—COCKTAIL RECEPTION
SATURDAY, MARCH 35 PM–7 PM
(in the upper lobby outside the Home Show entrance)
Join Bellco’s Mortgage Professionals after the Garden & Home Show on Saturday, March 3 at 5 pm, for cocktails, appetizers, Q&A, networking, and a wealth of information on topics, such as:
• Greater Denver real-estate market trends for the new year
• Should I stay or should I go: remodeling vs. listing
• How rising rates in 2018 could affect our housing market
• What role housing-supply shortages will play in the market
For more information about the Colorado Garden & Home Show, go to ColoradoGardenFoundation.org.
†NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Official Rules will be available at the Bellco booth during the event.
5 SMART WAYS TO SAVE ON HEATING BILLS
With six more official weeks of winter left, we’ve still got not only our snowiest month but also some cold days and nights ahead of us. So if you haven’t taken steps to create some heat and energy savings for your home, you still have an opportunity.
1. Your furnace filter. Many homeowners forget, but it’s important to regularly (monthly is ideal) replace or clean your furnace filter. If it’s dirty, it restricts airflow and makes your furnace work harder.
2. Your ceiling fans. You might use your ceiling fans only during the summer months to get a cooling breeze, but if you reverse the direction of the fan (to a clockwise direction if you look up at it) and run it at a low speed, it will push heated air (which tends to rise to the ceiling on its own) back down to the living space.
3. Control drafty areas. Just a “small crack” under an external door can drastically increase the amount of cold air coming in. Plus, if your thermostat is near that door, it might get a false read on the air temperature and make the furnace run more often than truly necessary. Something as simple as a rolled-up towel by that door can keep much of that cold at bay.
4. Bundle up. Give your body—instead of your home—a heat boost by adding layers of clothing. When you lower your thermostat, you’ll save money--in fact, according to Xcel Energy, if you lower your house from 72 to 68 degrees, you'll save up to five percent on your heating bill. That is especially true at night, when you can cuddle in under a pile of blankets while letting your home temperature drop many degrees.
5. Use your humidifier. If you’ve got one, be sure to use it—keeping your living area more humid will not only help keep your skin from drying out, it will hold heat better than dryer air, so you’ll be more comfortable at a lower temperature. Alternatively, add a few houseplants to the room—they can help increase humidity too.
Just a few easy changes can give you some nice returns on your heating bill, which can be important even as our winter winds down. If you start these habits now, they’ll be easier to employ come next winter, and you’ll be more likely to see even more savings then.
FEBRUARY CHARITY OF THE MONTH
In February, Bellco will collect donations for the American Heart Association, the nation’s oldest and largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke. Your donations help the organization fund innovative research, fight for stronger public health policies, and provide critical tools and information to save and improve lives.
Please consider donating to this charitable cause through Bellco’s Charity of the Month page. To learn more about the American Heart Association, just visit their website.